Tuesday, June 8, 2010

No New Groceries

This month, the month of June, is 'no new groceries' month.  Mainly because I don't have a car, but also because, who knows what I have in my cupboards that I can be creative with.  So far I've dined on frozen corn dogs with a side of barley, snap peas and carrots.  Weird, yet satisfying.

Yesterday for lunch I mixed leftover gnocchi with some garlic-salt-seasoned sandwich steak.  For those who are not blessed enough to know what sandwich steak is; it is simply very thinly sliced steak that you can use for sandwiches.  I like to cut it up and cook it in a pan, seasoned with garlic salt.  I usually eat it in a pita pocket with alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, shredded mozz cheese a bit of mayo and a squirt of creamy french dressing - so very yummy!  But for yesterday's lunch, I just mixed it in with the gnocchi and ate it that way.  Not too shabby.  Side for that meal, a small baggie of Cinnamon Pecan Special K cereal.

Actually, I have 2 baggies of the same cereal for lunch today.  I think I luck out though because I know I have change in my desk at work, so I should be able to add some chips or a candy bar in the mix today.

No clue what dinner tonight will bring... Should I venture into the cans and boxes, or stick with the frozens?

3 comments:

Miss Taken said...

Also, for the record, I was so exhausted yesterday that after getting home and immediately cutting the grass, I zonked out on the couch. I woke up at 3am to the dvd screensaver bouncing around on the main menu of disc three of season one from "Big Love". Rolled into bed around 3:15 and slept till 6:05. Nice. No food adventures last night, sorry.

Avo said...

Hmm sandwich steak sounds like carpaccio...

You know, this all sounds very familiar, it reminds of my life in uni except that there is a lot more variety. I ate a lot of dried pasta with seasoning.

I think you should go for what sounds the most appetizing, and when that runs out, go for the least disgusting.

Or you could try to rationally balance gross and tasty to get neutral stuff for as long as you can...

Nancy J. Parra said...

Oh, popcorn, I eat a lot of popcorn when I'm on a low grocery month. Who am I kidding, I eat a lot of popcorn. :) Yours sounds yummy, though.